Hollywood Neighborhood – Your New Home
The Lindley Team at Mortgage Express | 503.517.8641
The Hollywood neighborhood is a mix of commercial and residential space and provides shopping for many of the surrounding neighborhoods such as Grant Park and Laurelhurst, as well as to riders of the MAX Light Rail System. Hollywood also figures in Beverly Cleary’s Klickitat Street series of books, a fact memorialized in a display at the neighborhood library. Details on a Beverly Cleary walking tour are available at the library.
Hollywood is conveniently located along major streets for easy commuting (NE Broadway and Sandy, plus a ramp to I-84). You can catch the flavor of the area by driving diagonally from southwest to northwest on NE Sandy Boulevard starting at NE 37th Avenue and you will exit the neighborhood on NE 47th Avenue.
The neighborhood has two markets (Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods) along with a branch of the Multnomah County Library. With neighborhood shops, restaurants, a theater, and stores all within walking distance of most homes in the neighborhood.
Grant Park features classic style homes to Craftsman, Cottage, Cape Cod, and Bungalows. There are a number of condos in Hollywood, some new and others that have been converted from apartment buildings.
- Missing is a park, but it is just a few blocks to the 20-acre Grant Park. Grant Park is located at NE 33rd Avenue and US Grant Place and it has close to 20 acres. It has a baseball field, basketball court, soccer field, softball field, tennis court, restroom, dog off-leash area, picnic site, picnic tables, wading pool, and playground. The park also has an outdoor pool, a 25-yard shallow pool with a kid slide and 25-yard deep pool, heated to 84 degrees. The water depths of the pool range from 2-8 feet.
- The Beverly Cleary Sculpture Garden at Grant Park celebrates author Beverly Cleary’s colorful characters. the writer grew up in this neighborhood, and Grant Park is where her stories take place. Statues of Henry Higgins with his dog, Ribsy, and Ramona in her rain gear stand around a central fountain. Lee Hunt, a local artist, designed the garden’s child-friendly bronze sculptures.
Restaurants / Establishments:
- Chameleon Restaurant & Bar
Warm neighborhood bistro with a cozy covered patio serving Thai-influenced New American fare.
- Fleur De Lis Bakery & Cafe
Bright French bakeshop known for homemade breads & pastries serving egg dishes, salads & sandwiches.
- Killer Burger
Small spot serving big, creative hamburgers like Peanut Butter-Pickle-Bacon with bottomless fries.
- Shandong Restaurant
Classic & unique Chinese dishes featuring hand-pulled noodles offered in a modern, casual eatery.
- Nectar Cafe
Vegan cafe, fresh juice bar & house roasters coffee in a petite hangout with local art.
- Laughing Planet
Health-minded, counter-serve chain featuring creative, globally influenced bowls & burritos.
- Whole Foods Market
4301 NE Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR
- Trader Joe’s
4121 NE Halsey St, Portland, OR
- Hollywood Theatre
Renovated Prohibition-era movie house featuring indie films on a 50-ft. screen & live performances.
- 24 Hour Fitness
Built in 2005 at the site of Copeland Lumber. The club has a lap pool and a full-size basketball court.
- Silver Stem Fine Cannabis
1926 NE 40th Ave, Portland, OR
Coming from Hollywood Neighborhood? Here are easy to use directions straight to our office in Portland.
We love meeting with our clients face-to-face, whether you’re a first time home buyer, moving up to a newer home, looking to invest in real estate, or refinance, we’re here to be your preferred Portland Mortgage Lenders.
(Of course, a full application process is available online as well – just click here.)